Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tribute to Masters Series -- E.H.Shepard














Rumors had it that E.H. Shepard didn't like Winnie the Pooh himself.  Not that he disliked A.A. Milne's writing.  Shepard simply disliked how his work of Winnie the Pooh overshadowed all of his other works.

I will never know if he truly bare a grudge towards his most famous bear, but I do know I've read his "other work" before I know of his Winnie the Pooh.  I am, of course, referring to his beautiful illustrations in "The Wind in the Willows."  I was too young to understand that they are from the same illustrator, but I remember loving the illustrations.

Born in London, Ernest Howard Shepard (1879-1976) illustrated for many books and magazines after graduating from the Royal Academy School.

Illustrators help bring an excellent literature piece to a classic level.  Time has proven that E.H. Shepard is one of those great masters who sprinkled magic into the world of children's books.




















Ernest Howard Shepard














Artwork by Ernest Howard Shepard

1 comment:

Ben Clanton said...

Great post! I love your version of Winnie the pooh!